Friday, March 23, 2018

UK: Hate crimes against children rising, Muslims main target


“They bully me because of the way that I dress; I don’t want to wear my headscarf to school anymore because it makes me stand out, but I could never tell my parents that."

Times of Ahmad | News Watch | UK Desk
Source/Credit: The Independent | Excerpts
By Alina Polianskaya | March 20, 2018

Hates crimes against children have risen by 14 per cent in the last year, according to new figures released by the UK's leading children's charity.

The NSPCC said that calls to its Childline service spiked in the wake of prominent terrorist attacks. Children who called the 24/7 helpline said they had been driven to self-harm by the abuse, which included physical and verbal attacks as well as cyberbullying.

In all, 5,349 offences against under-18s were logged in 2016/17 which had religious, race or faith-based undertones. The data, obtained from 41 UK police forces through Freedom of Information Requests, represented a significant jump from 4,695 in the previous year.
...
Dame Esther Rantzen, president of Childline, said: “Bullying of any kind is vile, but targeting someone because of the colour of their skin, religious beliefs or their accent is simply unacceptable.

“Children are taking on board prejudices around race and religion in society and trading them as playground insults, with extremely harmful results."

One 11-year-old-girl who had been in touch with the charity said she had been called “a terrorist” by other children and believed that all her classmates hated her.

She said: “They bully me because of the way that I dress; I don’t want to wear my headscarf to school anymore because it makes me stand out, but I could never tell my parents that.

“I just want to make friends at school and for people to like me, but it’s really hard when I feel like an outsider.”

Childline is launching a new campaign called Understand Me to encourage youngsters to seek help if they suffer racial bullying and discrimination.


Read original post here: UK: Hate crimes against children rising, Muslims main target


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.