Monday, December 30, 2013

Q&A: Is Shameless Blatant Racist Oppression The Right Thing?


That’s not to say that someday I won’t end up boycotting eating entirely to bring these cockroaches to justice, but until then, now is not the time to be starving myself.

Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: JCIMism | Blog
By Jason Ensinger | December 29, 2013

I just got home from picking up some groceries,  20 minutes ago at 6:00 PM. About 15 minutes prior I was at the Lynnwood Dollar Tree check stand getting food that is in all probability genetically modified to make me die faster than the people that can afford better quality food. In the middle of being rung up I was rudely interrupted by a bald, white employee in glasses claiming that he had an “issue” to deal with in the form of a short 8 or 9 year old Hispanic girl.

I looked down at the short, but obviously mature girl to see a strange mix of indignation at being treated like a toddler, and terror that this could be the beginning of the end of her life with her family. The white employee nodded to the fluently English speaking Asian employee matter of factly that clearly they can’t allow this little Mexican girl to leave the store and were beginning to discuss getting the authorities involved to bring in an interpreter to explain to her parents why they can’t let them have their daughter back. Before they could get too far into their schemes, the girl bolted for the door and ran the 10 feet to the end of the sidewalk to jump into her family’s van and arms.

The white employee ran out the door after the young lady, then proceeded to share a few words with her family before coming back in. He reentered the store with a look of disappointment. Even though there was clearly no communicating with these people, the young lady’s family being 10 feet outside the door was enough to provide reasonable doubt that they have any justification snatching their daughter from them. Nearly finished ringing me up, the Asian lady returned the look of disappointment, then both simultaneously hardened up, “it was close though, we’ll get them next time”, they appeared to think as they returned to their previous reassuring nods.

Gloating in condemnation, the Asian lady rung up my last item uttering, “I can’t believe those people would send their daughter into a store by herself”, as if they should know there are people like them that would snatch their daughter from them over nothing.

“With all due respect”, I replied, “that girl clearly wasn’t as young as she might have looked at first glance, and anyone with the respect to look her in the eyes can see she is really about 8 or 9 years old”.

The checker replied, “Well, 8 or 9 is too young to be sending a kid into a store by themselves”.

“Are you kidding me”, I replied, “I used to walk miles alone from home to the store when I was 8 or 9″.

“Things are different from when you were 8 0r 9″, the checker replied.

“Things are not that different, how old do you think I am, that was barely 20 years ago!”, I replied.

“Things ARE different from 20 years ago”, the checker replied.

“Really, different, how different?”, I replied, “You’re right, we don’t have street gangs rampant everywhere, anymore. Our streets are different these days, it’s better now”!

Feigning the moral high ground, the checker said no more on the matter, pointed to the button to confirm payment and handed me my bags without another word. With my look of judgment, I bid her farewell and departed the store. I was, however; not quite finished calling them out on their blatant and deliberate attempt at racist oppression.

The streets are better now than they were 20 years ago, but it is far from safer for families and their children these days. It isn’t stranger danger in a dark alley tearing families apart, kidnapping the children of minorities without the communication skills to adequately defend their family and decisions. It is Mr. and Ms. Upstanding Citizen senselessly ripping these families apart and they are not going to get away with it! You have no business destroying every family that doesn’t conform to your culture of fear!

I would call for a mass boycott on all Dollar Tree locations until these employees are brought to justice, but I am poor and I have to eat. That’s not to say that someday I won’t end up boycotting eating entirely to bring these cockroaches to justice, but until then, now is not the time to be starving myself. I don’t know, perhaps I’m off base, perhaps I’m putting thoughts in the employees’ heads. If that is the case, they should have no trouble volunteering to a polygraph to provide reasonable doubt for malicious intent and charges being filed. After all, the last thing I am trying to do is be prejudice.



Jason Ensinger blogs at JCIMism 


Read original post here: Q&A: Is Shameless Blatant Racist Oppression The Right Thing?


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Ahmadiyya Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.