Saturday, December 6, 2014
Perspective: The Day My Faith in America Died | Paul Brandeis Raushenbush
I didn't cry. But when I heard the news about Eric Garner, my casual faith in America died -- and I am thankful for its death.
Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: The Huffington Post
By Paul Brandeis Raushenbush | December 4, 2014
"Do you think the Surgeon General is behind it?" Sean joked with me this morning, "I mean there were cigarettes and cigarillos involved in both so maybe they just really don't want us to smoke."
Sean's attempt at humor masked the deep pain he is feeling as a black man in the wake of the Eric Garner grand jury decision in New York. Sean told me that when he heard the news he was by himself in his living room and broke down and cried. I heard the same from many of my friends who were absolutely devastated by the news.
I didn't cry. But when I heard the news about Eric Garner, my casual faith in America died -- and I am thankful for its death.
My casual faith in America is the part of me -- thoroughly grounded in white privilege -- that has believed without overmuch reflection that our country values equality of all races at its core; that our laws and policing are color blind in their practice; that the efforts of politicians, business leaders and clergy are sincerely geared towards serving all the people; and that America is steadily progressing on the path towards a 'more perfect union,' to quote our president. [ more ...]
----------------------------------
Paul Brandeis Raushenbush is Executive Religion Editor at The Huffington Post
Read original post here: Perspective: The Day My Faith in America Died | Paul Brandeis Raushenbush
This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Ahmadiyya Times.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.