Thursday, December 29, 2011

Guatemala: Dispatches from Gift of Sight camp ~ Aliya A. Latif

For me, it was hard to tell who was a doctor, technician, volunteer or assistant (not withstanding the white coats) because everyone worked with such a sense of selflessness and carried themselves in such an unassuming way.

Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: Gift of Sight / Humanity First
By Aliya A. Latif | December 28, 2011

The final Gift of Sight post operation clinic has ended, and there are still so many memories I won’t soon forget.

Just a few days ago, Humanity First Guatemala Executive Director David Gonzalez mentioned that patients are still calling him; still so grateful to Humanity First for the Gift of Sight. The excitement just hasn’t worn off, and truthfully, how can it? To be able to see strangers, loved ones, even yourself in the mirror again or for the first time?

I spoke to Manuela and so many other patients during the second post-operation clinic.  “What was the first thing you saw?,” I’d asked. “My husband,” one woman said as she smiled.  “My clothes,” said another.  “I went downtown Guatemala city with my family and just watched people walking by,” said a mom with her daughter. “I read my Bible.”

I think back over the surgery and optometry clinics and how well the teams worked together. I fondly remember the Salud y Paz staff commenting that they had never worked with such a humble and generous team as Humanity First, and how much they appreciated the care Humanity First volunteers took with patients during the clinic and that we followed up to schedule not one, but two post-operative clinics to ensure patients were progressing well.

I remember my own personal first when I was able to scrub in and witness my very first eye surgery.


Lead surgeon and Gift of Sight director Dr. Ahsan Khan asked, “Aliya, would you like to come in and help calm this patient in Spanish and hold his hand?”

That was a perfect task for me, and just what I felt capable and most interested in doing in an operating room. The patient was a grandfather who had been difficult to sedate. He would flail his arms, and mutter, moving uncomfortably; he was clearly afraid. I sat near and held his hand, gently consoling him:  “Tranquilo, todo esta bien.” I told him soon he would be able to see and that he didn’t have to be afraid. I tried to tell him what he would see first, maybe just light and then soon more and more. I told him he didn’t have to worry, and to just squeeze my hand if he feel scared. Through my gloves, I felt him squeeze my hands and release. At first, he attempted to move his arms, but with a few kind pats and words, he would relax.

Soon, he was calm and completely sedated. It was such a touching human moment to be able, in some small way, to share peace and compassion with another person who like anyone else would feel fear and anxiety.  Being in surgery, surrounded by people, but so far away from everything familiar with only the hope that one day their health would improve.  And these people who traveled from another part of the world, would be a part of that priceless process.

The surgeons, doctors and medical staff were operating all day long. For me, it was hard to tell who was a doctor, technician, volunteer or assistant (not withstanding the white coats) because everyone worked with such a sense of selflessness and carried themselves in such an unassuming way.

I’m currently preparing for more Humanity First Guatemala projects, but am looking forward to working with the Gift of Sight team again. I’m hopeful all the USA Guatemala partnerships are as smooth and rewarding as this one.


Read original post here: Guatemala: Dispatches from Gift of Sight camp ~ Aliya A. Latif

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.