Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Perspective: Billboard in Indiana mocks Prophet Muhammad | Ahad Khan


The Islam that stands as an antithesis to terrorism — be it by the so-called Islamist forces or those who aim to misconstrue Islam’s real picture by publishing derogatory billboards.

Times of Ahmad | News Watch | UK Desk
Source/Credit: IndyStar
By Ahad Khan | June 12, 2017

'Muhammad’s teaching of never losing faith in times of adversity kept me optimistic'

The billboard on Indianapolis’ I-465 titled “The Perfect Man” which mocked and disparaged Prophet Muhammad, accusing him of rape, beheading, and several other allegations saddened me to the core as a practicing Muslim. The sight, however, did not surprise me because of the current wave of extremism rampant across the globe. With terrorists like ISIS instilling fear in the hearts of the masses, the billboard did not do much different, for it served the exact same purpose — stirring fear among the innocent public of Indiana. Unfortunately, currently it has become hard to differentiate between those who consider Islam a threat and those who use, rather misuse, the same religion to threaten innocent people.

I was sad after seeing the billboard because it insulted my prophet, someone who Muslims like myself love more than our parents, ourselves, and even the whole mankind. But what was even more depressing was the realization that it happened in 21st century America. A nation that has defied all odds in its less than 300 years of existence to set an example of freedom of religion for all. An example, arguably, second to none. As an international student studying in the US, seeing this billboard got me somewhat afraid too.

I came to Indiana two years ago from Pakistan to pursue my Bachelor’s degree. Soon after coming to Wabash College in Crawfordsville, I started calling Indiana my home. Not only because I was accepted with open arms for who I was but it was in the United States that I learned about what true religious freedom meant. As a member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, the largest Muslim organization in the U.S., my own country Pakistan refuses to accept me as a Muslim. That too, only because of my belief. Ahmadi Muslims believe in the second coming of the Messiah, like all Muslims but consider that the second coming of Messiah already occurred in the personage of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian. It is for this belief that almost all Muslim countries consider us out of the pale of Islam, ostracize us, and persecute us. Per Pakistan’s constitution I cannot even “pose” as a Muslim or else I may be imprisoned. It was after coming to America that I could freely say my prayers for the first time without having to worry about my life. I will remain thankful to the United States that it not only allowed me to practice my faith freely but welcomed me with open arms in the face of persecution that engrossed my everyday life back home. For America’s generosity and humanity in providing equal rights to all—even non-citizens like myself, I will forever be grateful.

Nevertheless, I also feel obligated to put forth the true teachings of Islam in front of all Americans as I have found them immensely eager to learn and extract the truth. On top of undermining the American ideals of freedom and mutual respect, the billboard did still more damage which disappointed me. It portrayed Muhammad and, in essence, all Muslims as barbarous and inhumane. I got disappointed because the Ahmadiyya Muslim community has always been at the forefront of fighting terrorism and extremism. Not a single incident of committing an act of violence is recorded in the community’s 130-year history. In the US, we have stood side by side with members of all marginalized communities to assist them in attaining equal rights. This is what we have learned from the life and character of our beloved Prophet Muhmmad. Even during my short stint of disappointment after noticing the billboard, it was Muhammad’s teaching of never losing faith in times of adversity that kept me optimistic and continues to do so.

I do not find it appropriate to answer all allegations of that billboard here as it may take a lot of space and time. Nevertheless, I would encourage those who put up that billboard, along with all fellow Hoosiers who may have any questions about Islam, to check out Ahmadiyya Community’s True Islam campaign, which is already endorsed by hundreds of Americans across the country. In Indianapolis, we hold regular sessions of ‘Coffee, Cake, and True Islam’ in various coffee shops to enlighten the public with true Islamic teachings. All this is done to promote a sense of harmony and love towards our fellow Americans and to help them better understand what Islam truly is. Please join us as we introduce the Islam which was preached and practiced by Muhammad. The Islam that stands as an antithesis to terrorism — be it by the so-called Islamist forces or those who aim to misconstrue Islam’s real picture by publishing derogatory billboards.

Ahad Khan
Crawfordsville


Read original post here: Perspective: Billboard in Indiana mocks Prophet Muhammad | Ahad Khan


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.