Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Faith and loyalty: American Muslims honor veterans

There was no discrepancy between the loyalty I was taught in my mosque and the loyalty I was taught in my elementary school classroom, where each day started with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: The Baltimore Sun
By Dr. Bilal Rana | November 11, 2010

For this Muslim, the spirit of Veterans Day brings back an early childhood memory. When I was a boy I entered an Islamic prayers competition at my mosque and was awarded a medal. On it read the words, "I shall be ready to sacrifice my life, wealth, time and honor … for the sake of my country." This is a pledge of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, America's first Muslim ,organization established in 1920.

There was no discrepancy between the loyalty I was taught in my mosque and the loyalty I was taught in my elementary school classroom, where each day started with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Times have changed since I was a boy. Now, Muslim expressions of loyalty are accused of being mere slogans. As a Muslim American, I honor the courage and bravery of our veterans that was put to the test through war. To this day, I recite that same dutiful pledge I once recited at my mosque enshrining love for country. The moderate, peace-loving, loyal Muslims are still here.

Times have changed, but we haven't.



Read original post here: American Muslims honor veterans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.