Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bangladesh: Homage to a great patriot


He rose against all injustices. We have observed this in the cases of the oppressed Christians, the Hindus and the Ahmadiyya Muslims alike. He stood as a tireless soldier in the cases of gender abuse. In 1995, he came to a procession to our mosque to show solidarity, in 1999, he kept his commitments intact.

Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch |
Source/Credit: Dhaka Tribune
By Abdul Awwal Khan Chowdhury | December 29, 2013

He wrote against the radicals and fanatics and made himself available for protests

Justice KM Subhan passed away on this day in 2007, a champion of human rights and freedom of religion, and a symbol of unity among the progressive forces of Bangladesh. A man of great altitude, yet so humble. A person of a great caliber, yet so simple.

I came in touch with this great man for the first time in 1988. This meeting was at a simple ceremony in Dhaka Art College. He was talking strongly about justice and constitutional rights. Little did I know at that moment, this very conviction and zeal of his would serve our oppressed community later in an unprecedented manner.

The second interaction with him was in 1992. Our central Ahmadiyya mosque and mission in Dhaka was attacked and partially burnt on October 29 by fanatics. A special in-depth report was published in the Dhaka Courier the following week. He wrote a very comprehensive article regarding the anti-Ahmadiyya atrocities in Brahmanbaria.

I went to thank him. He said, “No need to thank me, just doing my duty towards fellow Bangladeshis.” And he meant it. He never did anything for reward or recognition. Whatever he did, he did it from his sincere commitment.

This was just the beginning. He wrote against the radicals and fanatics repeatedly quoting the constitutional guarantees in the popular dailies, attended the roundtable discussions and made himself available for protests against any untoward threats and abuses.

He rose against all injustices. We have observed this in the cases of the oppressed Christians, the Hindus and the Ahmadiyya Muslims alike. He stood as a tireless soldier in the cases of gender abuse. In 1995, he came to a procession to our mosque to show solidarity, in 1999, he kept his commitments intact.

From 2003 to 2006 he remained vigilant against all odds and gave everything in his capacity to uphold the constitutional and human rights of Bangladeshi Ahmadiyyas. Despite his ill health, he went to see martyred Imam Shah Alam’s family in Raghunathpur Baak village under Jessore District.

He went to Uttor Bhabanipur, Kushtia. He went to remote Jatindranagar village of Satkhira district and to Khulna city to meet the bomb attack victims personally. He went to Bogra Ahmadiyya Mosque to defend the Ahmadiyya property physically.

He repeated the same in the case of Narayanganj. He was a young man of 80 years then. I once tried to thank him by saying: “You have done so much for us.” He stopped me, saying, “I have serious objection to your words ‘you’ and ‘us’. In Bangladesh we are all one and the same. There is no ‘you’ and no ‘us’ here.”

I naturally felt so small in front of him. I could never express my gratitude to him truly. I can only salute his zeal, commitment and loving memory.

In his personal life, he used to fast during Ramadan. He used to tell me, “I don’t have any problem fasting, except my tea. I miss my tea very much.” He used to break his fast with two or even more mugs of tea.

He was very fond of tea. Anyone who has been close to him must have noted this. He liked to prepare and serve the tea himself whenever he had guests in his study. He was a profound reader. We used to exchange books. We discussed the issues later after reading the materials.

He was such a humble man. Whenever I had the opportunity to visit his Malibagh residence, he made it a point to see me off up to my car and hold the doors open for me or my colleague until we entered. These were his noble attributes.

I have witnessed many a time, he went happily to respond to doorbells himself when the housekeeper failed to respond promptly. In few occasions, I have seen the same scenario being repeated in closing the main gate in my rear-view mirror. Such was the height of his courtesy and humility.

This very rare person lived a very simple life. I saw him returning from his usual evening walks alone from Ramna Park a number of times. Naturally, I had to ask him to be cautious about his own personal security, if not for himself, at least for society. “I will not let my enemies have the satisfaction of making me feel insecure in my own beloved country,” was his reply. I was defeated yet again.

This man taught me a lot. Despite the age gap between us, and my different background, he made me so comfortable around him. He always used to respect all, and earned the respect of all in return.

The last meeting was on December 31, 2007 at his place, the day he left us for his permanent abode. I had a very pleasant two-hour sitting with him. We had discussions on a few books that day.

I saw him studying the Cambodian war crimes tribunal act as I entered. During our course of discussion he said, “Dear Maulana, I am always optimistic, never pessimistic. I always fight for a genuine and just cause. I am always a winner never a loser.” He was giving me the substance of a true patriot. He was a true activist in the real sense of the term.

He was an institution onto himself. I left with a very pleasant feeling that day at 1pm. I left a few books on his table that day with the expectation of meeting him soon. But he passed away the same day in the afternoon. He had a massive heart attack during his usual afternoon walk, and passed away instantly.

I saw the books lying on his table the next morning when I went to pay my deep respects to him and meet his bereaved family members. Then I realised, I must have been the last person to have met him with an appointment that day. “Justice KM Subhan had a very large family,” I told Rehan and Adnan very proudly later, “and I happen to be a member of that family.”

Today is his sixth death anniversary. If he had lived, he would have completed his 89th year by now. I don’t observe death anniversaries as a ritual. But I can always pray for this great man on this day. May his soul rest in peace and attain salvation for ever.

May Allah reward him amply for the precious services he has rendered to us and to the whole nation. I pray to Almighty Allah from the core of my heart: “Allahummaghfir Lahu Warhamhu wa Adkhilhu fee Jannatin Nayeem.” O my Lord! Please forgive him and have mercy on him and grant him a paradise filled with Divine Bounties, Ameen.


Read original post here: Homage to a great patriot 


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Ahmadiyya Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.