Sunday, May 13, 2018

Perspective: What's in a name? | Damon Stengel


'So, basically my names especially the first two are already Islamic in the sense of its consistency with the Islamic philosophy despite its root in Greek culture and it's pagan legends.'

Times of Ahmad | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: Facebook post
By Damon Stengel | May 10, 2018

So here's a random thought that came to my mind: Sometimes converts to Islam change their names to that of Arabic, and I am not against that: They have their reasons, and that is their choice.

But for me, since people have asked me in the past if I would change my name to that of a Muslim name, the answer I give them is "no".

Firstly, while I am Muslim now, I still adhere to the Western culture (so as long as it's not against Islamic tradition), and thus, I would like to keep my identity as that of someone from the west. Just like how some Christians don't have Jewish names, but western.

Secondly, the name my mother gave me fits my character well in my opinion. Especially when looking at its Greek root word, "Damazo". According to Strong's Cordonance:

◄ 1150. damazó ►
Strong's Concordance
damazó: to tame
Original Word: δαμάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: damazó
Phonetic Spelling: (dam-ad'-zo)
Short Definition: I tame, subdue
Definition: I tame, subdue, involving obedience and restraint.
Damazo means to tame, subdue, and involving obedience and restraint. So in my personal opinion, there is no reason to change my name to an Arabic name especially when my name already has a strong meaning that is consistent with the Islamic way of the greater jihad, of subduing the inner Satan within yourself and being obedient to God and his Khalifat.

Hence, I think my name is just fine and if anything, a most excellent name my mother gave me. My middle name "Kane" also means warrior, and that comes from my father. I am a warrior for the cause of Allah and Stengel means "thin man/stalker" in German and I'm a thin man and I am an observant person haha.

So, basically my names especially the first two are already Islamic in the sense of its consistency with the Islamic philosophy despite its root in Greek culture and it's pagan legends.

Names don't always have to be Arabic, but again, this is not to offend those who changed their names to that of Arabic. I'm only addressing those who may be curious to why I haven't changed my name to that of an Arabic name. Besides, those who change their names to Arabic names have valid reasons for doing so as well. They are in a different state than myself so no judgment against them.

I'm a guy that's obsessed with languages and the words and names our English language borrows from. And my way of promoting diversity within Islam so as long as it doesn't cause division.


_______________________
-- unedited.


Read original post here: Perspective: What's in a name? | Damon Stengel


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.