Monday, December 19, 2011

Pakistan: Some questions for society

I want to know how you allowed Maududi to became the godfather of Pakistan, I want to know how Jinnah became a religious visionary in our history books. I want to know how you allowed for Zia.

Ahmadiyya Times | News Watch | Int'l Desk
Source/Credit: Daily Dawn | Pakistan | letters
By A. M. Jaferii | December 13, 2011

I WRITE today to ask the generations that came before me a few fundamental questions. This paper stands shoulder to shoulder in the weight of editorials with the finest in the region, a bastion of the left, a flaming beacon in an otherwise darkened intellectual space. It is in English, the language of exclusion, the mark of education in a society that answered colonisation by colonising what was left of its own fabric.

I want to know why people who watch television shows do not hesitate to label an anchor a ‘Jewish agent’ when they disagree with them. I want to know why, on public forums, they consider themselves within their rights to abuse each other to the point of vulgarity.

I want to know why there is a poverty of intellect in debate and public intercourse. Why behind every disadvantage there is an Indian conspiracy and behind every disagreement an American design.

I want to know why there is an inherent hypocrisy in our social fabric.

I want to know how you allowed Maududi to became the godfather of Pakistan, I want to know how Jinnah became a religious visionary in our history books. I want to know how you allowed for Zia.


I want to know why the police that I pay for with my taxes treats me like an immigrant in a xenophobic regime. I want to know why the children of today are being taught by uneducated flunkies who helped vote in the current government, why our only Nobel laureate has been erased from our history.

I want to know why Mahmud Ghaznavi is a hero, why Mohammad bin Qasim’s death was celebrated on the streets of Baghdad and not by naming a port after him.

I want to know why Salmaan Taseer died, I want to know why Mumtaz Qadri lives.

I want to know where exactly in my genealogy did I become Arab, and how it is a higher race and a purer breed. Where exactly was I supposed to start identifying with a race of people that seek to distance themselves from me as much as possible? I want to know who ‘we’ is when you teach me that ‘we’ conquered Spain.

I want to know why it is wrong to call Allah ‘Khuda’, why it is saintly to grow my beard and to show my ankles and to leave religion at that.

A. M. JAFERII
Karachi


Read original post here: Some questions for society

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.