Friday, February 17, 2017

USA: Ahmadi Muslim Marine seeks to spread knowledge about Islam


“When I landed in Houston, as soon as the religious conference ended, I just went to downtown Houston and I went at it full speed.”

Photo Twitter: @mansoortshams
Times of Ahmad | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: BYU-I Scroll
By Arielle Trujillo | February 16, 2017

A Muslim Marine is striving to spread the word about Islam in an effort to fight nationwide misconceptions.

Mansoor Shams is traveling around the country offering to answer questions people may have about Islam, seeking to dispel preconceived fears and prejudice, according to NPR news.

“Somehow I need to counter some of these things, and the only way for me to do it is to get out of my comfort zone and go full speed ahead,” Shams said.

After serving in the Marine Corps from 2000-2004, Shams felt impressed to become an advocate for his faith, according to NPR news.

As a member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, Shams said he found a way to personally start making a difference.

“They were running a campaign called “Meet a Muslim,” Shams said. “From that I … thought, why not add my twist to it by adding my U.S. Marine component because … that’s who I am. I’m not only a Muslim, I’m also a U.S. Marine. I thought that was something that would further resonate with people across the country.”

He said he began publicly offering open conversations while on a business trip in Houston in January.

“When I landed in Houston, as soon as the religious conference ended, I just went to downtown Houston and I went at it full speed,” Shams said.

He said he has gone to downtown Houston, Denver, Portland, Seattle and Baltimore, holding a hand-written sign that reads, “I’m Muslim and a U.S. Marine. Ask anything.”

Shams said while traveling through the Seattle airport with his sign he was involved in a conversation with a random stranger about his message. She contacted him later and told him she had made her own sign, “Muslims welcome”.

Shams said he is willing to talk about everything from Sharia law to ISIS with anyone willing to ask, according to NPR news.

“Time is of the essence,” he said. “We are living in a time where there’s a lot of division, there’s a lot of fear, there’s a lot of concerns and … I need to just jump on board and start knocking this out.”

Shams said his upcoming trips include New York, Virginia and New Jersey.



Read original post here: USA: Ahmadi Muslim Marine seeks to spread knowledge about Islam


This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Any comments irrelevant to the post's subject matter, containing abuses, and/or vulgar language will not be approved.

Top read stories during last 7 days

Disclaimer!

THE TIMES OF AHMAD is NOT an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, nor in any way associated with any of the community's official websites. Times of Ahmad is an independently run and privately managed news / contents archival website; and does not claim to speak for or represent the official views of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Times of Ahmad assumes full responsibility for the contents of its web pages. The views expressed by the authors and sources of the news archives do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Times of Ahmad. All rights associated with any contents archived / stored on this website remain the property of the original owners.